Hi friends! We’re back today for another planning post. If you’re just joining us, take a look at our past posts on Planning 101.
Today we are talking about a doozy… choosing your wedding photographer. This is one of the most important decisions you will make for your wedding so it is crucial to educate yourself as much as possible and do your research!
In our almost 12 years of planning weddings we have had some of our couples go through their fair share of nightmare photographer issues. Sadly, we have seen it all. Everything from the photographer not showing up on the day of to our couples having to take a photographer to court because images were still not delivered after waiting for over 2 years post wedding. It makes one wonder why these people are even in ‘business’ at all. You can image our dismay when showing up to the church to prepare the ceremony site when the Mother of the Bride comes running to us in tears “The photographer just called and he isn’t coming! What do we do?”
Well, as any good coordinator/planner would do… we HAUL A$$ looking for a RELIABLE replacement who can take this on uber last minute! Turns out we have some amazing people in the Winnipeg Wedding Industry who continually step up for one another. This wedding was saved and the pictures were amazing!
But what is one to do when the photographer is withholding images, not returning phone calls/emails and missing deadlines? You revert back to your contract. This is a legal document that you need to have. In your contract you should have important dates outlined; when is the final payment to be made, when will you receive the images, etc. If you have met with someone who does not plan on giving you a contract.. run for the hills. DO NOT give out a deposit until you have something signed with this business.
Some important factors to consider while you’re doing your research…
– How important is photography to you both? For most it is very important. When the day is long gone all you will have left is the images to reflect upon, show your children and your grandchildren. If photography is important to you both, take this part of the planning seriously.
– What is your budget for photography? You are not going to get quality pictures or service by hiring someone for $1000. It isn’t going to happen. Figure out what you’re comfortable spending in this area and then start researching photographers in this price range.
– Meet with several photographers. This is also very important. You both need to be comfortable with this person and there needs to be a certain amount of chemistry. If you don’t feel comfortable, it will show in the pictures.
– Look at entire weddings. Every photographer has a handful of stellar shots in their portfolio. You cannot get a feel for what your wedding will look like by looking at their best 5 images from 5 different weddings. Ask the photographers to show you albums from past weddings. An experienced photographer will have these on hand.
– Ask for references. Someone who has used this company and has a personal experience. You can also look online for legitimate reviews.
This is one area that a wedding planner can assist you greatly! When hiring an experienced planner you can alleviate all the research and the guesswork from all of the above. Your planner will be able to recommend quality photographers in your price range that are best suited for you.
If you’re thinking about a Wedding Planner, contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re here to let you enjoy your engagement!
Join us next week as we dive into choosing your ceremony location!